1) The flexible pavements have low or negative flexural strength and are rather flexible in their structural action under the loads.
The rigid pavements posses noteworthy flexural strength or flexural rigidity. The stress are not transferred from grain to grain to the lower layers as in the case of flexible pavement.
2) The flexible pavements have self healing properties but the rigid pavements do not have any. In other words, whatever deformation occurs in flexible pavement due to heavier wheel loads, it is recoverable to some extent after some time but it is not so in case of rigid pavement.
3) The temperature variations due to changes in atmospheric conditions do not produce stresses in flexible pavements but induce heavy stresses in the rigid pavements.
4) The structural capacity of the flexible pavement is influenced by the strength of the sub-grade while the strength of the sub grade has only little influence upon the structural capacity of the rigid pavements.
5) The cost of construction of flexible pavements is less as compared to rigid pavements.