When I used to be in the final year of my engineering, I used to think what actually we have to do after joining the job. If you are a fresher or engineering student, you may also be thinking the same.
Here, I want to explain you some of the work that a new or fresh engineer should do after joining the job.
1) MY JOB
I work in TSC(Technical Support Center) – Banepa which is a joint project launched by Build Change in coordination with ARSOW Nepal. Its main aim is to provide the technical help to the victim of the earthquake to reconstruct their houses. We provide free municipal map , technical advice, construction strategies, process of getting government allowances etc. There are many offices for this particular project in earthquake affected district. In each office there are two staff and their work are as follows :
- Draw the municipal map as per the modal prescribed by NRA and Build change.
- Make weekly progress report
- Update the drawings in Build Change online portal
2) Civil (ME)
- Welcome the affected people in office
- Show them the models of house and explain their suitability, technical aspects etc.
- Collect all the documents required for making municipal map
- Filing the documents
- Prepare Location map and Site Plan
- Fill the required forms about the municipal drawing
- Help architecture in drawings
- Going in the site for total station survey (It can be of road, irrigation or any specific site survey)
- GPS Survey where you will be given a GPS and you will record the co-ordinates. It is especially used in transmission line survey and site survey.
- If you have idea of making topographic map then you will be given to prepare the detail topographic map with the data you have surveyed.
- Making BOQ (Bills of Quantity)
- Helping in Autocad and 3D Drawings (Site Plan, Location Plan and Floor Plan)
- Estimation of the house in a pre-designed excel template
- Helping in the documentation
- Observing the site work and process of handling materials, equipment etc.
- You will have to record the materials entry and use of it for specific task
- Recording the workers performance and guarantee their safety at work
- Preparing weekly/monthly reports and submit to chief (after few months of work in site)